[LISdocstudents] Hello from New Zealand

Jonathan Dorey, Mr jonathan.dorey at mail.mcgill.ca
Sun May 19 22:07:33 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm Jonathan and I'm a PhD candidate at the School of Information Studies at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. I'm going into my fourth year and hoping to finish by mid/late 2014.

In the past we typically had cohorts of about 5 students, but the incoming cohort will be slightly larger. There will be about 30 Ph.D. students in the school as of September. I would expect that less than a third of us will apply for lecturer/professor positions after graduation. That is just what I think; I haven't actually asked about everyone's career plans. I would like to stay in Canada after graduation, at any of the 8 LIS schools in the country, but I'm also open to moving abroad. The 8 schools are UBC (Vancouver, BC), UofA (Edmonton, AB), Western (London, ON), UofT (Toronto, ON), Ottawa (ON - not yet ALA accredited and only fully bilingual school), UdeM (Montreal, QC - only school in French), McGill (Montreal, QC), Dalhousie (Halifax, NS). To that you have UofM (Winnipeg) and Laval (Quebec City, QC - also in French) where there is a master's in archival science part of the Department of History.

In English North America (Canada and US), while the pool of LIS graduates is rather small compared to other fields, it is growing, and facing increased competition with candidates from other fields who can't find positions within their own fields (communications, humanities, computer science, etc.). I would imagine this isn't entirely different elsewhere.

--
Jonathan Dorey
Traducteur agréé / Certified Translator, OTTIAQ