[LISdocstudents] Hello from Colorado

Charis shewolf925 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 05:48:58 EDT 2013

Hello,

My name is Charis Wilson and I just joined this list.  I  am now officially a doctoral candidate (ABD) having defended my proposal yesterday at the School of Library and Information Management (SLIM) at Emporia State University.  I will be conducting a constructivist grounded theory (CGT) (Charmaz, 2006) study to examine from the perspective of the street-level bureaucrats (Lipsky, 1969, 1980, 2010) tasked with processing FOIA requests whether facets of incoming Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, such as requester identity or subject, impact the FOIA process and if so how.  I'm hoping to graduate next spring.

In answer to an earlier question about cohort size, my group was seven when we started and after the first year was down to five, two of whom have gradated.  Of the two who graduated one had been working at a university but actually took time away from work so she could focus on her research, while the other is continuing to teach at a local high school.  For the three of us still remaining in the program, one already has a teaching position, another works as a medical librarian, while I work as a FOIA Officer.

The two cohorts behind mine, which were each two years apart, have about 7 folks as well, although I believe the new cohort starting this fall, will be larger but I'm not sure how much larger.  I do not know how many of them will will be seeking academic positions.

I'm curious what everyone else's topic and methodology are.