Back Issues, Vol. 5
1. What's so bad about Total Information Awareness? by Ben Brunk 2. Replies to "What's so bad about Total Information Awareness?" 3. Data miner replies to Politech, says TIA can ID terrorists 4. More on data mining, TIA, and how to ID terrorists 5. EFF's Brad Templeton and Norm Singleton on TIA's true threat 6. Links out on Total Information Awareness and privacy in general
1. Dr. Laura on the attack 2. The 2002 Downs Intellectual Freedom Award winners 3. Post 9/11 Civil Liberties Resources and Web Sites 4. Links 5. Ankles of Library Girls Seized as They Stack Books 6. Amusing searches
1. Interview with Jessamyn West 2. PUBSCIENCE DISCONTINUED 3. 'Core' or 'Critical" Ready Reference Tools (in print) 4. Lib Tech Talk List 5. Newsletter on Intellectual Freedom going online 6. Bibliography - attitudes toward the poor in libraries 7. Bushspeak 8. Phones Installed in Free Library 9. Links
1. Pacifica Radio Moves to Save Nation's Oldest Public Radio Archives 2. African Libraries Listserv 3. FYI: Fact Sheet Updates @ your library 4. Call for Contributors - LISJobs issue on "jobs, salaries, and raises" 5. Must MARC Die? 6. Two letters on the ALA Palestinian Libraries resolution 7. Request for advice - "Starting a library in Uganda" 8. Volunteer at a Library in Africa or Central America 9. Links
1. On the "Wild Librarian" websites 2. ALA Washington Office Press Release on Billington ruling on fair use 3. Amy Goodman to speak at President's Program (ALA Midwinter) 4. Summary: Reference Interview activities (LIBREF-L) 5. Mitch Freedman on pay equity naysayers 6. Library Trends 51(1): "Services to the Labor Community" 7. Letter from Congress to HHH on scientific communication 8. Petition to James Billington re: CPUSA archives 9. Miriam Braverman remembered 10. Links 11. Amusing Searches for October
1. Secretary of State Colin Powell on reference materials 2. "Me, Mom, Microsoft, and the Library of Congress" 3. The California Federation of Labor on the Freedom to Read, 1958 4. Re: Who are the Friends of Cuban Libraries? 5. New Issue of Information Research: "Knowledge Management" 6. Thomas Hennen: "Invest in tommorow, invest in libraries" 7. The October 2002 issue of First Monday 8. Links!
1. IFLA, bullies and other monsters 2. Ruth Rikowski's Report on the Fringe Meeting at IFLA 2002 in Glasgow 3. burn.ucsd.edu accused of material support to terrorists 4. Conference Announcement & Call for Papers - AJL 5. projet MOBILIVRE-BOOKMOBILE 6. "Banned Websites Week" - book sites as SEX 7. Links! 8. Funny searches
1. No irony intended, then. And, Jim says "No" to intergenerational sniping. 2. Report to SRRT on the August 2002 IFLA Glasgow Meeting 3. September 11, 1973 (New book about Chile) 4. "The Informed Librarian Online" 5. Flyer to pass out in the street 6. Appeal for help - disaster relief for Czech libraries 7. Mark Rosenzweig's webliography on 9/11 8. Links
Special issue: Project Censored: "Most Censored News Stories of 2001-2002"
1. "This IS a fine upstanding publication" - an editorial 2. Library Workers Say, "No Spying in Libraries!" 3. Information for Social Change No. 15 4. New Publication: Free Range Librarian 5. Unique 'Banned Books Week' Exhibit 6. A Shortage of Academic Librarians? - A COLLIB-L Thread 7. Update to Frankentoons site 8. Links 9. Funny searches
1. "Speaking With One Voice" policy and SRRT: Documents 2. The Quiet Storm 3. GATS and Libraries web page update 4. Proposed Closure of PubScience 5. MONEYTALKS - New ALA discussion list for salaries issue 6. Information/Library Science Internship - Fairness.com 7. Victory at LC 8. Reviewers Needed for Library Journal 9. Links
1. Resolution "In FAVOR of USAPATRIOT ACT & TIPS" 2. The Book Campaign (Gaza & the West Bank) 3. Tapes of dissent 4. Call for submissions for issue #1 of "riot librarrrian" 5. Congressmen voice "concern" over Science paper 6. NOLA Bookfair 7. I Dreamt the Death of Free Speech Now (song) 8. THE REFERENCE DESK SONG 9. Another Atrocity at a Cuban Library Followed by Another 10. NewBreed Librarian: New Issue and a Farewell 11. Reclaiming the Commons 12. Statement of Condolences 13. Links
1. New URL for FTF website 2. Zoia Horn wins Jackie Eubanks Memorial Award 3. WTO statement on public services under GATS 4. Defend coordinated printing of Gov Docs 5. Fighting Executive Order 13233 6. The Memory Hole keeps scarce knowledge alive 7. Call for Papers - AEQ: "The Many Faces of Information Competence" 8. Links
1. New on libr.org 2. Alternative to What? 3. Budgets in the Red (PUBLIB thread) 4. ALA Resolution on Palestine 5. Washington (state) Library Ass'n SRRT web page 6. Housmans Bookshop Libel Case 7. Freedominfo.org 8. Dr. Arnulfo Trejo (obit) 9. From the Weblogs and elsewhere 10. Christian Socialist Librarian?
1. IT'S HAPPENING! LIBRARIES VS. THE FBI 2. FBI and libraries (email from Ann Sparanese, Mark Rosenzweig) 3. New HERMES : REVUE CRITIQUE 4. Joy of Censorship Update 5. ALA Council Report to SRRT, June 25, 2002 6. SHY LIBRARIAN 7. African Libraries Listserve active again 8. From the weblogs (and elsewhere)
A note regarding trials and tribulations on the libr.org server and a change in publication frequency and content.
1. Libr.org technical difficulties 2. Special Library Edition of the Zine Rack 3. June Issue of NewBreed Librarian 4. Update on LOWNP (Library on Wheels for Nonviolence and Peace) 5. Gagged by Google 6. GATS A Growing Threat to Cultural Policy 7. Data Quality Act could be hell 8. Examples of Erroneously Blocked Web Sites: from the CIPA Decision 9. Disciplined Minds 10. Listserv BI-L to become ILI-L 11. Roger Sween on the Minnesota State Library Smackdown 12. Muffy Bolding has this great poem called "Librarian" 13. "Make the Pie Higher" by George W. Bush 14. Funny searches for May 15. Save the protozoa from inappropriate material
1. Mitch Freedman responds to Karen Schneider re: De-Bermanification 2. CONTEXT 3. Libraries for Latinos? Not in Santa Ana 4. OMB versus GPO 5. Building the Electronic Commons Democracy Collaborative 6. Koha 7. ProQuest adds to Alt-Presswatch database 8. Sex, the Internet, and Educational Reform 9. CPPA, COPA, CIPA: Which Is Which? 10. Ethical decision-making and Internet research 11. Association of Internet Researchers - AOIR 12. "Factual Error Found on Internet" 13. Letter from Denise Kleinman to George Lucas
1. Library on Wheels for Non-Violence and Peace (LOWNP) 2. At The Margin 3. On Despising Genres 4. "Literary Lynching:" When Readers Censor Writers 5. Andy Rooney's 10 observations on libraries 6. Alternative press: Radical pubs to zany zines 7. Creative Commons 8. Mexican police suppress pirated CD sales, riot ensues 9. Media Literacy: An alternative to Censorship 10. The Dignity Commission and the Case of the "Salamanca Blood Papers" 11. Central Booking "best/worst library experiences" 12. The IFLA Internet Manifesto 13. RadCat discussion on Hennepin County's de-Bermanification 14. Photos from the PLG gathering in NYC
1. SRRT Newsletter #138 2. When Shush Comes to Shove 3. Paranoia, stupidity and greed ganging up on the public 4. The Amelia Bloomer List 5. First Monday, vol. 7, no. 5 (May 2002) 6. NRC report on "Youth, Pornography and the Internet" 7. ILLWeb 8. Mexico Passes Freedom of Information Law 9. Not Censorship But Selection 10. Autodafe, the Censored Library 11. BookThing (wow) 12. Peru Congressman responds to Microsoft 13. Mr. Rosenzweig goes to Washington 14. Rat Robot
NETFUTURE Issue No. 131
1. Responses to my comments on the "Rediscover America" cartoon 2. COWLZ: A Call for Participation; comments 3. New Feminist Task Force URL 4. Stay Free! | "Conspiracy" issue out now 5. Kieth Michael Fiels new ALA Executive Director; comments 6. Google gets the chills 7. Google "Answers" service: an end-run around librarians? 8. Positivism meets Hermeneutics in Information Research 9. 4th Nordic Mobile Library Festival 10. Citing Sources (a web guide) 11. THE 2002 JEFFERSON MUZZLES GO TO ... 12. Climate in U.S. threatens freedom of information 13. Industry Attacks on Dissent: From Rachel Carson to Oprah 14. ALA Seeks Honorary Member Nominees 15. Funny Searches
1. Brian Smith gets himself in big trouble; Rory comments 2. European Parliament votes 460-0 against mandatory censorware 3. Update: Freedom of Information in Mexico 4. Bill would nullify Bush executive order on presidential records 5. Israeli Occupation Forces Ransack Cultural Center 6. Call for papers: Gender and Technology 7. The 1999 Library Juice Earth Day Issue 8. Measure your ecological footprint in 15 minutes 9. [RRE]pointers, April 17, 2002 10. What is Information Worth?
1. Progressive Librarian #19-20, Spring 2002 2. Preservation 101: An Internet Course on Paper Preservation 3. State Privacy Laws Regarding Library Records 4. More Information Being Stripped From Gov Web Sites 5. Librarian turned activist lawyer targeted by Ashcroft 6. Joy Richmond's Paraguayan Library Project (an appeal) 7. Petition to preserve Sandy Berman's contribution at HCL 8. In U.S. Media, Palestinians Attack, Israel Retaliates 9. Authors urge Amazon to limit sales of used books 10. The Evil Of Silent Censorship (blocked email) 11. Thoughts on the reaction to Nicholson Baker's Double Fold 12. City of Los Angeles Librarians appeal for support 13. Progressive Portal letter campaign (on the war in Israel/Palestine) 14. McFarland book on Library Service to African Americans in Kentucky 15. Three ads that have some of us going
Interview with Nancy Snow, author of _Propaganda, Inc._
1. The GATS and Libraries 2. April is the cruelest month for poetry 3. New stuff at NewBreed Librarian 4. First Monday Vol. 7, No. 4 (April 2002) 5. Librarybooksales.org 6. New list for radical catalogers 7. Fat librarians! 8. Better than Baseball Cards 9. SLJ.com goes daily 10. UN Monterrey, Mexico Conference, Letter from Mexican Librarians 11. Great Moments in the History of Technical Services 12. Bunion 13. Anarchist Bookfair 14. Those Evil Libraries 15. Advertisers Know: Librarians Sell 16. Lida Verdesi, 1933-2002 17. Said Ignatius Reilly to Myrna Minkoff... 18. Words That End In "gry" and "dous"
1. CIPA Information 2. DECLARATION OF THE NICENESS OF LIBRARIES 3. ALA Resolution in favor of torture 4. Two new anticensorware reports 5. Filtering companies' religious connections 6. SSSCA becomes CBDTPA 7. Wisconsin madness 8. War Times 9. A selection of Don Wood's recent IF postings 10. "Keeping Anarchy In Order" - article about Julie Herrada 11. Audio of Michael Moore speech in which he flatters librarians 12. Patriot Registration Form 13. Search Engine bias? 14. More weblogs 15. Amusing searches
1. Judy Krug interviewed on Counterspin 2. "Standard" Book Contract: An Antitrust Lawsuit Waiting To Happen 3. Steven Garfinkel Receives 2002 James Madison Award 4. John Sessions Memorial Award 5. Booklend: A Lending Library By Post 6. WANTED: Library Short Stories 7. Primer on the roles and functions of library associations 8. Equal Pay Day & some info re inequitable pay of women in U.S. 9. The Nation on Women's History Month 10. House committee asks for views on digital copyright, 4/8 deadline 11. AVOT ("Americans for Victory Over Terrorism") 12. "Office of Information Awareness" 13. Ashcroft Wants Neighbours To Spy on Each Other 14. ACLU Calls for Denver Police to Stop Keeping Files on Protesters 15. Zine Librarian Zine (review) 16. Library Weblogs (a partial list) 17. Library Book Search (Board Game) 18. Links to information about Herbert Schiller (1919-2000) 19. Arguing for socialism: a bibliography 20. "The Social Life of Paper: Looking for Method in the Mess" 21. Library Journal "Movers & Shakers" supplement
1. Letter from Sanford Berman to Charles Brown, Director of HCL 2. Email between HCL PR person and others. Includes HCL Press Release 3. The March 5th HCL memo
1. Puss In Books: Adventures of the Library Cat 2. Opposing Copyright Extension 3. OpenLaw in Eldred v. Ashcroft 4. MickeyBono 5. The March 2002 issue of First Monday (volume 7, number 3) 6. Journalists be shamed: the (other) Enron scandal 7. The WTO and public libraries - a Swedish perspective 8. Police shut down Michael Moore's booksigning, help promote book 9. Masturbation message spelled with 407 books
1. Sanford Berman's original cataloging to be decommissioned 2. ALA Council slate addition 3. LISNews interviews ALA Presidential Candidates 4. Article on cataloging as a career 5. The Top Librarian Personalities on the Web 6. BIBLIO-BUILD 7. Reference Services Review 30:1 8. Shy Librarian - Spring 2002 issue free on web 9. Info Career Trends - Call for Contributors 10. Free Online Scholarship (FOS) Newsletter 11. Cultural Policy Listserv 12. Preserving the artifact 13. The Overdue (cartoon)
OCLC's Strategic Globaloney (COLLIB-L Discussion)
1. Library Juice endorsements in the upcoming ALA election 2. Slashdot discussion on The File Room 3. SSSCA? What now?! 4. Raids on Indymedia in Italy 5. NCLIS asserts its value to the country 6. NCLIS' "Principles of Public Information" 7. New reading on the "Patriot Act" 8. Version 41, Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography 9. Re: Robert Kent's latest email 10. Library Program to Cuba, April 19 - May 3, 2002 11. "Faces of Cuba" photo exhibit seeks home 12. February's semi-funny searches 13. Virginia Hamilton (in memoriam)
1. Eldred v. Ashcroft 2. II Global Congress of Citizen Networks, Buenos Aires, Argentina 3. Libraries might not be for "socialist welfare scum" after all 4. Library Juice Supplements 5. AEQ seeks issue editor 6. SIMILE Volume 2 Issue 1 February 2002 7. Chilling Effects of Anti-Terrorism (from EFF) 8. Americans Facing Greater Loss of Independent Local Media Outlets 9. Why We Need _In These Times_ 10. Toni Samek's list of alternative literature for librarians 11. The Library in Crisis, by Julian Samuel (a video) 12. Rockabilly Librarian 13. That Honda ad
"Countering Marginalization: Incorporating Zines Into the Library" By Jason Kucsma
1. URL Correction: 1947 film on being a librarian 2. Black History Month resources from Librarians' Index to the Internet 3. Cites & Insights - February 2002 4. Washington's Governor Proposes Closing State Library to Save Money 5. Angry Librarian 6. The Shifted Librarian 7. First Monday, Volume 7, Number 2 8. Collection Development: Playboy in the Academic Library 9. International Scholarly Communications Alliance (ISCA) 10. SRRT Newsletter seeking book reviewers 11. The WIPOUT Essay Contest 12. Information Producers Initiative 13. ALA President John W. Berry on WTO and GATS Concerns 14. A Selection of Don Wood's recent postings to IFACTION 15. Eli M. Oboler Memorial Award winner announced 16. Special for Valentine's Day
1. NewBreed Librarian turns 1 yr old - New Issue Out 2. 1947 film on being a librarian - free on the web 3. Three more weblogs 4. Al-Arian & Academic Freedom 5. The ARL breakdown on electronic search & seizure laws 6. Mary Minow on the USA-PATRIOT Act 7. Send a free fax to John Ashcroft 8. Marginal Librarian 9.2 9. "Best Books of 2001" 10. Librarians Index to the Internet Would-Be Heckler 11. Free PDF-to-Text utility 12. Information for Social Change No. 14 13. SRRT Resolution: Libraries in a Time of War & Emergency 14. Browsing Room (zine review)
1. The definitive Sanford Berman website 2. SRRT Newsletters nos. 136 & 137 3. ALA Resolution Reaffirming the Principles of Intellectual Freedom 4. Al Kagan's report on ALA Council, January 2002 5. Resolutions passed by SRRT Action Council in New Orleans 6. Why this war is a 'library issue' 7. President's Program on the Web 8. Information at Risk 9. Lawsuits on the way for libraries that don't filter 10. Library Support Staff.com 11. Geekbait is dead | Long live libronaut! 12. H20boro lib log 13. Howard Besser, photographic maestro 14. Funny searches
1. Scott Mutter's library-as-symbol 2. Owen Massey's Library History page 3. Librarian Home Pages from Chris Zammarelli 4. Infomuse (mostly a web log) 5. ALA Public Programs Office September 11th thing 6. philofinfo * Philosophy-of-Information 7. New UCITA amendments do not include library proposals 8. Chronicle of Higher Ed on judge's approval of netLibrary sale 9. Photos from IFLA Conferences 10. Communication as a Human Right in the Information Society 11. Alert re: war-related resolutions 12. The Red Menace in Memphis 13. EPIC Alert Volume 9.01 14. portal: Libraries and the Academy 15. Tattletales for an Open Society 16. Naming--and Un-naming--Names 17. What happened to Danny Glover 18. Nice statement by Mark Rosenzweig
Community Informatics (TOC and Introductory Chapter of book)
1. Innovation no. 22, June 2001 - Progressive librarianship 2. Cites & Insights: Crawford at Large 2:2 3. Marylaine Block's "Rules of Information" 4. Soul and the Sustainability of Librarians 5. LibrarySmart 6. Draft Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights on Privacy 7. Library Resources Concerning the WTC/Pentagon Attacks 8. Lawrence Lessig interview on Slashdot 9. The Promise of Software Libre (Open Source) 10. Library Lovers' Month 11. Two responses to "David Litwin remembers the Donnell Branch" 12. If You Don't Want American Flag Stamps, Watch Out! 13. Library songs
"The Invisibility of the Alternative Press," by Tami Oliphant
1. Donations now accepted through PayPal 2. Publicly Accessible Mailing Lists (PAML) 3. The Information Professionals Guide to Career Development Online 4. Academic Exchange Quarterly - upcoming issue on Information Literacy 5. The Making of a Movement 6. The Convenience Catastrophe 7. A passion unleashed 8. What Homeland? 9. Letter to Holt Uncensored Re: Michael Moore's book 10. Rebuilding of Baghdad Library Campaign 11. FYI France EXTRA: Jason Epstein, on the text-e econference 12. David Litwin remembers the Donnell branch of NYPL